Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Back from the doctor

Well...that was interesting. Besides a few slightly embarrassing moments with a young 3rd year student who did the initial exam (before the doctor came in), the visit was as expected. Since I was "asymptomatic" today, it was hard to get a definitive diagnosis, but the doctor things I have a mild case of sciatica (basically what I determined...but I think it's an inflamed piriformis pinching my sciatica...whatever). He told me to lay-off the running (ummm, yeah) and if the pain returns, take an anti-inflammatory, call him and he'll schedule some PT.

They both looked at my back and hips, but the "real" doctor said if it was the result of a structural imbalance, I should have noticed it much earlier than now...like "several years ago". But, I don't agree...I wasn't running then and only recently have I upped the distance/intensity of my runs. So, I'm planning to go ahead on my own and schedule a biomechanical analysis (anybody have a ballpark guess for how much it will cost??).

9 Comments:

Blogger Running Chick said...

Why, why, why do they always say 'lay off the running' first?

Was this a sports doc?

OH! And enjoy Montana! It will be so wonderful to soend time with your family!

5:25 PM  
Blogger David said...

Okay. Montana will free your mind and probably your back too. The load at work is probably coming through your body and making it hurt. Defintiely take some anti-inflammatories. It'll calm things down. And please don't feel guilty about not running so much. You weren't running at all two years ago. You'll be fine. You're in good shape now that you can ease off a week or two and still run Hartford.

7:13 PM  
Blogger brent said...

sounds like a tricky diagnosis and they docs didn't help much? bummer.
what is a biomechanical analysis? hopefully someone will respond about that because i'm curious too. have fun back in montana...that is one state i want to visit but never have.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

I will say, only from my own very recent experiences, ask for the PT consult right now. Tell the doc you're in pain or whatever and get the referral. My own PT experience has so far been very beneficial and hopeful. "Don't run" is not necessarily the answer because it doesn't necessarily addrsess the issue. PT's aren't doctors but they know some very specific things that docs don't. Trust me, push for the PT referral!

8:41 PM  
Blogger Riona said...

I totally agree with David; you're in awesome shape and taking a little time off (in beautiful Montana! I'm so envious! Someday I will move to Missoula) might be just the thing. But I will be keen to hear about the BM analysis - good luck, and good for you for the positive frame of mind ... Thinking positive thoughts for us all ...

10:07 AM  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Pshht! Doctors. Can't stand them. the only thing they are good for is a referal to an expert. Sometimes they are terrible too. And I always tell the med student to leave and get the doctor so I don't have to train him and then repeat my story anyway.

Sciatica. Yuck. I had sciatic problems before. It does take a while to get better, but when you find the root cause, it can show amazing initial improvements. Mine was bad shoes and a bad truck seat. I went from being unable to tie my shoes to almost pain free in a couple days after fixing it.

Hope you find some relief from the pain soon.

1:54 PM  
Blogger Jank said...

Enjoy the trip, and good luck with the "structural imbalance". I'd offer some sage advice, but (knock wood), I've not run into any of those on my own.

Positive thoughts and small changes first...

10:11 AM  
Blogger jeanne said...

Hey Sarah,
Thanks for leaving a comment and leading me to your blog.

I had a very very similar problem, and here's what i have to say: doctor's are freakin' useless, for the most part. I spent two years hobbled by back/hip pain, and saw five different docs: orthopods, and neurologists, and one of them wanted to do back surgery! but none could agree on the cause of my pain.

Long story short: exercise cured me, and now i'm training for a marathon. And the moral is: get a good sports PT! The good ones really know what they are doing.

Good luck, and I'll try not to make you pee with my next post!

4:50 PM  
Blogger UMaine Cooperative Extension said...

Sarah,
I agree with some of the other comments - best to go to a sports pt specialist. After my second doctor visit today - first to primary care (misdiagnosis) and second to orthopaedic/podiatrist (not much info beyond new diagnosis) - I am looking forward to my referreal to the sports medicine and physical therapy clinic.

Enjoy Montana. I always think of Zappa when Montana is mentioned - "gonna move to Montana soon and become a dental floss tycoon."

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home