Random Thoughts/Questions
I've had a lot of random things going through my mind the last few days...some running related and some not. I thought I'd just get them down on "paper" and see if any of you had input:
1) What kind of shoes do you wear when your not running? I'm able to wear tennis shoes to work every day (very casual attire), but I simply wear a pair of cheap Avia that I bought at Kohl's or something. I do quite a bit on my feet and some walking. I currently run in New Balance 766, so I do overpronate a little...does this also happen when a person walks?
2) Should I even be contemplating a Fall marathon? I've only been running a little over a year...I've read in a few places that you should wait a few years before attempting such a long distance so that your body can build the strength/structure it needs for those long training runs. I'd like to run one before I'm thirty (2 years!) or pregnant (not even trying, yet).
3) Is it gross that I re-wear my running socks a couple of times before I wash them? Should I even have admitted that here ?? :-) Maybe I should invest (literally, those suckers are expensive!) in a few more pairs...
4) When I focus on keeping my "Column" (ChiRunning) strong , I find myself restricting my breathing.
5) What's your favorite training distance? Racing distance?
Just some things that have been rolling around in my head :-)
Today's run was a struggle; Susan had the same problems that I did, and I'm attributing it to the humidity...it was likely 90%. But, I got it done (despite wanting to quit several times) and my time was faster than Tuesday...I guess the ChiRunning has helped in that regard :-) I'm definitely using different muscles now when I run. I have to exert myself more but the outcome (ie. speed, lack of pain) is better.

14 Comments:
I can't answer all, but here's my two-bits:
1) I wear flip flops as often of possible. Just because. No scientific reason.
2) If you want to run a marathon just to run one, then I think you can do it in the fall (and Hartford has a decent course, with pace leaders). Start training immediately. However, if you have a time-specific goal in mind, then you might want to wait and keep racing/running longer distances and try in the spring or next fall. Your half-marathon time is awesome. Could you have done another 13.1 right after that?
3) In the winter, I wear my socks more than once before washing. 'They' say that the socks loose their cushioning and new ones shoule be worn each time, but I haven't noticed a difference. I have four pairs which gets me through the week.
4) No idea on this one.
5) Training: 10 miles. Racing? Well, the numbers say 5K is my best, but I HATE IT when I'm doing it. I like the longer races - over 10 miles - where I can relax a little instead of killing myself.
Here are my 2 cents.
1. I love wearing high heels to work, church, shopping, anywhere at anytime. I especially love summer sandal high heels.
2. Go for it! If you have the desire and the time to train, I know you can do it.
3. I have never heard of re-wearing running socks. If I were you, I would invest in more socks. Maybe you can find them inexpensive online?
4. Hmmm…
5. My favorite training distance is 4.2 miles (my typical morning run, around my neighborhood). My favorite racing distance in general is a 10K, but my favorite race is the New Haven 20K.
1. casual work-type loafers. Or cork sandals. Or, even better - none.
2. To steal a fine bit of marketing: "Just do it". Worst case, you run a half this year, and do a spring marathon.
3. Yes. It is gross. And leads to stink.
4. Uh...
5. 5 miles for training. Fits well into a lunch hour with a shower. Not a lot of race experience, but I am really digging the tri series I'm running - a little more than an hour of racing. Challenging, but not intimidating.
Um, I love shoes, so I'll wear anything: boots, heels, flipflops, sandals ... I love high heels.
Run a marathon? Um, I decided to run one as soon as I started running, which might be dumb, but I think is doable - I have 9 months from start to finish.
Rewearing socks? Um, sweetie, it might be a little gross. But then I sweat a lot. Some people don't.
I'm loving five miles right now - I feel challenged by distance but not whacked out by it.
Good luck!
And Dianna is right. Flip flops are the ideal shoe. I dream of living in a sarong and flipflops.
i am going to come out and join you as a confessed re-wearer of socks. then again i am only a deadset beginner and can't do anything more than 5k, AND i have never been a heavy sweater. So... there :)
Hi, my name is chandra, and I rewear my socks. which is quite unnecessary as I live about 5 miles from the LL Bean outlet, but I do. I have the adreline mini crew, and I highly recommend them. I don't notice any badness, and I don't smell them on purpose.
1. Sneakers, birks, dankso clogs, earth shoes. I spend a lot of money on my 6 pairs of shoes, and they are all comfortable. I hate flip flops. that thing inbetween my toes is unacceptable. I also lost flop when I was a child, and haven't recovered.
2. What the heck, if you want to, train for it. if it doesn't work out, you run the half, and train again next year.
4. does anything else hurt? where does it feel restricted?
5. I'm hoping 10 is my favorite, but I haven't gotten there yet. It seems like a lot of time to spend doing something that isn't reading Harry Potter.
Ooh, I like reader surveys.
1) I love shoes, and wear sandals or flip flops all summer. When I'm wearing sneakers for non-running activity, lately I've been wearing old running shoes. But I don't know if that's bad or not.
2) Your call on the marathon, the first commenter was right. If you just want to do it to finish, you're good to go, but if you want to finish in a certain time, you might want to give yourself more time. But you seem pretty strong and really good about sticking to a training schedule, so I bet you could run a great marathon in the fall if you started training now.
3) I tend not to rewear socks, but I rewear other stuff. Is that grosser? But I don't buy the fancy socks. I buy regular coolmax type socks from Target that are only a couple bucks a pair.
4) I know nothing about form.
5) Haven't been doing this long enough yet. But I think I prefer, like, 5-12 miles, before it gets too hard, but enough to make feel tired when I'm done.
OK, late to the party again.
1. At work I wear those ubiquitous brown leather shoes that look like Rockports. As soon as I walk in the door the shoes come off and I'm barefoot. If I need to wear something and can't wear my sandals, I'll wear and old pair of running shoes that have hit the 300 mile limit.
2. Higdon's site says you should have been running for a year or more before attempting a marathon, so its likely you are ok on the time. The first week is 15 miles and then it ramps up from there. If you can run 3-4 miles 4 times a week, then you are probably at a level to start. If you've already run halves, then you are certainly at a level to be training for a full.
3. Not gross to me. :)
4. How are you straightening your column? If you are tightening your abs too much, that will restrict your breathing. This might be a good time to have someone take a picture of you when you are in your aligned standing position. Also, you might want to film yourself running to see if you still have the right form.
5. Favorite training distance: 8-10 miles. Favorite race distance: The 5K!
1. Clarks brownshoes, generally. Clarks sandals when I can. Actually, barefoot whenever possible - my ankles tend to be sensitive to moisture, so I hate socks.
2. I strongly encourage you not to race your first marathon. Run in "to finish", and be happy with whatever time you put in. From your times, you're already reasonably strong. If you've done well at avoiding injury, I'd say jump in.
Beware, though. It's a much, much, much larger jump than from 10k to the half. Injuries are VERY common in marathon training.
3. Wash. See 1, though.
4. That sounds bad, but I'm no Chi Running expert.
5. I love training runs in the 14-18km range. It's probably all in what you are comfortable with at the time, though.
My favorite race distance is the marathon. Huge effort, huge reward.
Hi Sarah.
1-shoes are the most important thing you wear. Support and comfort are paramount, which is why I prefer barefoot. Go figure. At least it's natural.
2-Plan backwards from the race date. Gradually longer long run weekends are the key. If you can plot yourself a forgiving schedule of adding 10% more mileage every weekend and reach 22-24 miles two weks prior to the marathon, go ahead.
3-I've never worn socks over. Feet sweat more than any other part of your body. Think about it.
4-Do what feels good. I always do.
5-Long runs always feel best because I'm ramping up, going farther and feeling accomplished. If I am injury free, the longer it is, the better.
Fave race distance: right now a 5K because I'm knocking the crapout of my PR times; but the 15K and Half are what make me feel like a bona fide runner.
ohh i didn't see this one, i'm late to the party!!
1. i like sandals when i can. otherwise i guess its dress shoes which are no fun and not all that comfortable
2. i don't know enough to answer this but i too want to run it before i'm 30. i bet you can do it!!!
3. i do this too. :)
4. huh?
5. hmmm, i guess i so far 5-7 miles is pretty cool. i've only raced twice 10k and 5k and the 10k was the most fun because the number of people racing was HUGE, and it was my first race.
lots of wisdom here, and i think i'm going to echo everything warren said.
1. clarks at work, tevas or trail shoes when not at work and barefoot around the house.
2. what warren said. that's spot on.
3. if i'm out of clean ones, i'll re-wear.
4. n/a
5. 18-22. i LOVE the long runs. if i could run 3+ hours each day, i would. racing, i'd have to say the 1/2 marathon. long enough to be tough, but short enough that i can run it very fast and not feel like i need a couple weeks to recover.
Hi, if you are looking for mapquest ontario canada, this site does a nice job of sorting through all of the choices. mapquest ontario canada
Post a Comment
<< Home