Wednesday, July 20, 2005

After a lot of consideration (and procrastination), I finally went ahead and made an appointment with my doctor. I'll see him Monday afternoon and he'll hopefully get me in for physical therapy. I tried calling a group of Sports Medicine doctors yesterday, and after I explained that I was having hip "pain" from running, the receptionist explained that they "don't do hips"...huh? She gave me another number to call, but I didn't...I don't know why.

Last night I rode the recumbent bike for about 30 minutes...no problems. I lifted (light weights!)hamstrings, then quads and did a bit of stretching to finish out the night. The tightness creeped back during the evening and I went to bed feeling uncomfortable. This morning, I awoke feeling the same (it often clears-up overnight) and tried a few yoga postures that sometimes help. When I got to work, I was feeling so tight and uncomfortable...and pretty dejected. I sat in the ladies room crying for a bit, mostly out of frustration. At my desk, the tears started again, and a co-worker kindly asked if I was okay...I explained the problem and he mentioned his wife has had a lot of injuries from working-out. She simply started with her doctor and then went in for physical therapy. So, I picked-up the phone and called for an appointment.

Yesterday, I sent an email to a place that offers computerized biomechanical analysis. I know that I really should do this...I have scoliosis and my hips are different heights (dummy...of course you're going to end up in pain!). I guess I'll visit the doctor first, see what he recommends and then go from there.

Thanks for the suggestions and support....they really, really mean a lot to me :-)

5 Comments:

Blogger Doug said...

Running injuries are new to me, but I agree that they can be very frustrating. Is the reason you don't want to go to the doctor that you don't want someone to tell you to stop running? I know that is probably why I haven't talked to anyone. You are doing the right thing by seeing a professional. Just think, you'll feel better soon!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Riona said...

Sweetie, it sounds like you're going through a hard time, but you're doing all the rights things, which means that a solution is right around the corner.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

I can totally empathize with your frustration and underlying fear. I'm glad you're seeing your doc, it's a good place to start. Alot of GP's will say "take ibuprofen and don't run anymore, kay?" Be sure to get the referrals to the orthopedic docs or PT's that can help you figure this out.

Please keep us posted.

4:54 PM  
Blogger David said...

Sometimes a hip injury is actually a back injury or strain making its presence known away from the source of the problem.
I so hope you can get it going again. You have such natural talent and ability.
Keep us posted. We want to support you.

6:48 PM  
Blogger Oldman said...

the beach party is at 7:30 at miromar beach club on the beach if you hurry now you can make it. i'll wait for you! sounds like you need a little party to take your mind off of things.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home