End of the long weekend
Hope everyone had a nice long weekend! And thanks for the responses to my last post...I enjoyed reading your comments, and have decided that I need to purchase more socks to avoid rewearing the TWO (!) pairs I own :-) I've also thought long and hard about a fall marathon...and I think I'll just stick to the half for this year. I have many years of running ahead of me (knock on wood)!
We had perfect weather in New England this weekend, so my run this morning was pretty decent. I had 4 miles for today on my modified schedule (included a small taper week for the 5M race this Saturday) and it went really well. Believe me, after Saturdays long run (75 minutes), I desperately needed a good one under my belt :-)
So, Saturday...it all began with "inadequate preparation" on Friday night. We had a BBQ at my husband's boss's house and I didn't eat nearly enough: only watermelon/pineapple, a small roll, a few bites of pasta salad, and a small cookie. I did drink enough water, so that was at least a plus for the night. Saturday morning I awoke and had my usual breakfast: cup of coffee and English muffin with peanut butter. Headed out about 1.5 hours later and felt okay for the first 20 minutes or so. I was trying a new route that I hadn't ever seen (only on a map) and assumed that certain roads would have sidewalks...wrong. They were busy, winding roads and I tried running up on the curb area, but quickly aborted that idea. I just turned around and went back to more familiar territory. Around 30 minutes into my run, I started to feel completely out of energy. I was frustrated with having to navigate back through some heavy traffic, up a few hills, the stupid side-stich I was fighting and I had a lot of negative things going through my head. At one point, I realized I was starting to cry...and just stopped dead in my tracks. I tried to rationalize with myself: I could just slowly jog back home (at least 30 more minutes) and try again tomorrow, or I could just keep moving and get in the full 75 minutes. Well, I sucked it up and just kept going. It wasn't pretty, but I got it done. Sunday was a rest day and today, well, it was a wonderful 4 miles. I guess I managed to salvage the weekend :-)
This afternoon we braved the potential traffic and headed south to Gillette Castle. It was a quick trip, but we still got out and enjoyed the sunny day. Again, I hope you all had a nice weekend...I'm off to start dinner, but will be checking my bloglines feed later tonight!

3 Comments:
Way to work through the tough run!
And Gilette Castle is great - I love to put my kayak in at the launch just below the castle. What a nice stretch along the east side of the river all the way to the Sound!
Wow! Tough run but you did it. I'm also thinking about half marathons... We'll see.
Good job sticking with a rough run like that. I think that's a major part of the mental training, being able to push yourself onward when inner voices are screaming to give up and go home. You know you need the run, and pushing through it makes you stronger and more confident for every run after that.
Post a Comment
<< Home