Sunday, July 24, 2005

Tomorrow is the *big* day (visit to doc)...and as expected, my hip/leg feels a bit better (I guess it's a little shy). It may have something to do with the things I've been trying to ease the tightness:

-I went for a 5mile run on Thursday and as I started my post-run stretches, I realized that I've been really, really pushing the streches. This time, I slowly eased into the stretch, allowing my muscles to relax. I've also been a little less aggressive with rolling out the hip with a tennis ball.

-My whole body has been really tight...getting out of bed has been very ungraceful. I decided a HOT bath would help loosen me up. Afterwards, I spent about 10minutes doing some gentle stretching of my legs/back...that really helped and I no longer hoble when I walk.

-Yesterday, I did a 10miler followed by stretching. Back home, I decided to take a COLD bath (crap that's not easy), hoping to relieve the beginnings of knee pain. Seemed to help, because I feel pretty good today. Though, walking around the mall for 4 HOURS, (unsuccessfully) trying to find something to wear to a friend's wedding, started to cause some discomfort.

During the long run yesterday, I dealt with A LOT of negative self-talk. I'm starting to lose focus of my running "goals" (to take my mind off the fact my job is unfulfilling, that my family is so far away, that I feel really isolated here). I have so much I want to say about the things that were going through my mind, but...they seem to personal to mention here. Maybe in time, I'll find the courage and comfort to ask for your input.

I hope you all had a very nice weekend...was anybody racing besides Doug?

11 Comments:

Blogger brent said...

good luck at the doc, hope that goes well.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Ali said...

You have a lot of time to think on long runs, maybe make some small running goals so you can see the results.

Good luck at the docs!

6:59 PM  
Blogger Doug said...

I know what you mean, I lose it after about 30 seconds in cold water. I dunno about you, but for me, 15 miles in 3 days hurts my hip/leg and about one thousand other places. I'm sure the doc will help.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Lara said...

Good luck at the doc, keep us posted!

4:59 AM  
Blogger HouseRunner said...

*support*

it sounds like the baths and stretching are helping. Hopefully the doctor will say something helpful (or put a lift in your shoe?)

i dealt with a lot of self doubt on my run yesterday as well. maybe we shouldn't run on sundays?

7:02 AM  
Blogger Running Chick said...

Cold baths. Yeah. Takes your breath away, doesn't it? I took a few of those last summer when I was marathon training...to help ease the muscle soreness. And that has to be one the toughest things about training...lowering one's bare behind into an icy cold bathtub. I can empathize.

Now that you've broken the running-with-people barrier, maybe you can hook up with a running club/group? That's one way to get focused and excited about running. And running with partners helps keep out the negative self-talk!

You're welcome to join us on our long runs on Saturdays...and the Manchester group runs on Saturdays too. =)

7:37 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

I was going to suggest a running group of some sort -- running chick already beat me to it. It does help to have that kind of support, people who are there with you. My brother is also going through the same thing. It's hard to stay motivated when you feel like you're in it alone. Take care and I hope everything goes well at your doctor's appointment.
Irene

10:48 AM  
Blogger Deene said...

I hope you doctor visit today went well and you'll be getting some relief soon. Take it easy and do join a running group.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Oh, I do love the cold baths now. I found that being in the tub empty first, and then adding a few inches of warm water, followed by filling only with cold water, seemed to help the transition better. You can add the ice once its full. Lowering down into the tub full of cold water was just too painful for me.

Hope your visit to the doc was helpful.

8:20 AM  
Blogger David said...

911 to Susan. Get to Sarah STAT! She needs you for more than just a run. You know how to help. I know it.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Scott in Washington said...

Well, it probably wouldn't help with your feelings of anxiety and crap-job angst, but I’ve found that I usually prefer running by myself. The runs go faster sometimes when I don’t have to focus on the person next to me but can just sort of retreat into the program I have in the headphones while I’m running. Maybe I just need to find more running partners…

I hope the biomechanical is productive.

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home