Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Back from DC and feeling blue

We had a pretty good time in DC...the weather was insane (90 degrees and pretty humid). We did a lot of walking, which in hindsite, probably wasn't the best thing for any of us. My MIL ended up with "tummy troubles" from the heat, my husband may have a mild/moderate case of dehydration (he stayed home from work today for the first time since I've known him), and my knee is bugging me from all the walking :-( I think it's just a little swollen, but it bothers me because it's located behind my knee: a little internet searching and I see something called a "Baker's cyst"?? My swelling isn't "cyst-like," but more diffuse...anybody have any comments? Today I decided not to run and tomorrow is yoga...we'll see how it feels on Thursday, I guess. Maybe I didn't give myself enough time to recover from the race? I ran about 3.5 miles 2 days after the race, walked a bunch in DC (the monuments/museums are far apart!), and ran both Sunday (5 miles) and Monday (4 miles). Probably jumped back in too soon.

And after all the build-up and excitement from the half-marathon, I'm starting to feel a little blue. I'm thinking of a 5-miler in 4 weeks, but I feel like I need something a little more...well, challenging? I really want to do the New Haven Road Race so I can meet a bunch of RBFers, but that seems so far away. I also wanted to try the Hartford Marathon, but I don't think it will be in the cards this fall because there will be a week in August when I won't be able to do much running; I'm going back home to spend a few days and the only place to run would be along a two-lane highway (which my mother would probably forbid!). I guess I'm at a loss because I don't have a training plan...no schedule to follow, no long runs to prepare for.

I guess I'll sit down and look over the training program from the 10K and follow that for the 5-miler. Or maybe the half-marathon program for the 20K? I don't know...

Anyways, I appreciate all the comments from my race report :-) The support is amazing...and forgive me for a few days while I catch-up on all your updates; I'll try to get back to commenting in the next few days. Tons of good wishes to all those with races this week!!

3 Comments:

Blogger April Anne said...

The New Haven Road Race isn't that far away! :) It would be fun to meet you. And...I have to say, it is my fav. race of the year.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Ditto what April Anne said, June is half gone so Labor Day is coming up fast. Hoping I can make it to the race too.

3:54 AM  
Blogger Riona said...

Hey ... I haven't done my half yet, but it sounds perfectly reasonable to feel a bit let down afterwards ... you've been building up to this for so long. You did great.

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home