Thursday, May 05, 2005

With a little apprehension, I laced-up and hit the treadmill. I did a warm-up jog on the way to the exercise room, but I still started out slowly on the treadmill. I was *so* focused on my knee...do I feel something there? No...no...wait, is that a little twinge? Throughout the entire run, I never felt anything beyond a little sensation in my inner right knee. I was happy, but cautious.

I only ran a little over 3 miles on the treadmill and then hopped on the elliptical for about 10 minutes. It seemed like a pretty low impact machine...I'll have to think about incorporating that into my workout. When I was done, I did a few stretches and then did a few seated leg raises to increase the strength in my quads. I have done a lot of internet searching for the answer to my knee problems...beyond the over-use issue (too many miles too soon), weak quad muscles and tight hamstrings/calfs are also a cause of knee pain. So, more strengthening and stretching for me!

I keep wondering if I'm too focused on my discomfort. It's just that I haven't had any sort of complication in the last year...granted I wasn't doing nearly as much as I am now. But, never really any pain or soreness. So, I guess I'm a little paranoid about suddenly having my knees angry with me :-)

I'm thinking I'll put the half-marathon training on hold for now...the race is in 4 weeks and I think I'd really have to push myself with my training to get to a point where I feel comfortable to run that race. Instead, I'm going to pull back a bit with my miles and look to do a little more cross-training. That's the plan at this moment :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home