Monday, May 02, 2005

Knee!

Wow...what an impact an injury can have on one's outlook. I feel so dejected and lost...all because I couldn't run Sunday. Literally couldn't run :-(
After Thursday's and Friday's runs, I knew that I should take Saturday off. Again, that gave me the perfect chance to get fitted for new shoes. Yesterday, after doing the weekly grocery shopping, I came home and laced-up the new shoes. I wanted to take them for a test run...just a little loop of maybe 2 or 3 miles. As I got about 30 seconds (!!) into the run, I felt a wierd sensation in my right knee...I can't even describe it now, but at the time, I knew I needed to stop immediately. I was really puzzled...my legs felt really fresh and there wasn't any residual pain from Friday. So, I walked up the hill a little further, and picked up a trot again...and needed to stop! It was uncomfortable...nothing I've ever felt before :-(
So, I turned around and walked home in a daze. I mean, I had just bought new shoes, the weather was fine, my training was going well...I hadn't anticipated anything like this. So, yesterday and today has been filled with ice and anti-inflammatories. I want this to get better *now*!
As of tonight, things feel okay...I know this is nothing more than a little set-back. I'm going to try a run again tomorrow after work. If I feel any discomfort, I'll stop and rest-up longer. Anyone have any ideas/advice?

3 Comments:

Blogger HouseRunner said...

Sarah, oh no about the knee! I hate when it's a beautiful day, and it just doesn't feel right to pound the pavement. Hopefully some ice and rest will make it all better soon!

Chandra

5:26 AM  
Blogger Noames said...

Bah! That sucks. Hopefully some rest, ice, and stretching will make it better.

But the new shoes sound exciting. I love buying running shoes when the salespeople look at your feet and analyze your gait and then bring out all sorts of options to try. It reminds me a little of that scene in the wand shop in Harry Potter. So fun!

8:46 AM  
Blogger warren said...

That's what happened to me about 8 miles into my first half-marathon. It ended up being a pulled hamstring.

Bad news, for sure. You're doing the right things, though. Take it easy, rest up, and let it work itself out.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home