Friday, April 29, 2005

Schedule Change?

Today was supposed to be a rest day with a 70 minute run scheduled for tomorrow. Unfortunately, it's supposed to rain *all* day tomorrow...starting later tonight. So, I have three options: do the run tonight after work, run in the rain, or postpone it until Sunday (and skip my yoga class). Hmmm...I was looking forward to a nice dinner with a glass of wine tonight after a long week at work.

Last night was a little over 5 miles on a pretty hilly course. Just as I headed out on the path, the wind picked up and large drops of rain started to fall. Thankfully, about 5 minutes into the run, the sky cleared up and the sun came out. It was a very pretty run around the reservior.

I really want to give more details about me...it just seems so intimidating! Kind of like writing an email to a long-lost friend, detailing the events of the years since you last spoke. So, maybe I'll just do bits here and there to fill out the story behind my running (which isn't too long):

It has been a little more than a year since I seriously started running (actually, April 11th of 2004 to be exact!). I don't really know why I laced up my ratty tennis shoes, but I remember that it was really sunny out and it just seemed like something I should do! It was pretty tough going at first...I probably averaged 10 minutes before I needed to walk. But, for some reason, I stuck with it...I'd run periodically through the week. I didn't really have any goal in mind, like to lose more weight (which I'll discuss more later) or to run a specific race.

One day, I found out that one of the women at work was training for the Hartford Marathon with hopes of qualifying for Boston. She was obviously a pretty hard-core runner as witnessed by her very slender frame. One day, I asked her a little more about the whole process and she mentioned a race that she was running in July. She really encouraged me to run the 5K portion...and I did!

I've only run in 3 races so far, but I've been getting really consumed by the whole world of running...and now seems like a pretty good time in my life to attempt a marathon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home