Saturday, October 08, 2005

Finished...and feeling guilty

Well, that's done :-) I'm still waiting on the posting of the official results, but my watch time has me in at 1:40:15. Not too shabby, considering the weather, my over-indulgence in cookies last night, and my lack of focus these last few weeks.

It was a fun (??) race that started with a great night on Friday. Susan, David, April-Anne, Michelle, Dianna, Jason, and myself all met-up for pre-race dinner. It was so nice to see everyone again...made me realize how out-of-touch with the RBF I've been these last few weeks. Sure, I scan through people's blogs, but my mind is elsewhere. So, dinner was a good reminder of how supportive and good-natured these people are...how easy it is to have a comfortable conversation with "sort of" strangers. I did manage to bake a small batch of my mom's cookies...unfortunately, I also managed to eat my share of those cookies on the ride home. Lots of stress going on...and they were just sitting there, all lonely on the seat next to me. I really gave myself a tummy ache :-)

This morning I briefly touched-base with Susan and David, and then headed to the port-a-potties. The weather was *miserable*: lots and lots of rain. It was so wet and miserable that the announcer's speakers kept fuzzing and shorting-out. It made for a very, very, very painful rendition of the National Anthem. The race started, though it took a very long time to cross the timing mats. I felt really out of it and had no idea where I was in the starting line. The first mile was a definite waste of energy, as I dodged people left and right. I bumped into Michelle and April-Anne at an early water-stop, and caught-up to Dianna a little further up the road. Everyone was looking strong and I promised to see them at the finish (a broken promise, I'm afraid).

The miles passed...right now I'm so worn-out that I can think of much that was really memorable about the race. Give me a day or two to recollect the details.

The finish was good...I was handed water, a finishers medal, and offered one of those thermal-wrap thingies I see in pictures. I declined, feeling a little sheepish that I'd only done 13 miles and didn't really need the pampering :-) I walked around a bit, and started to feel pretty ill. My tummy was complaining about something (probably the cookies) and the weather started to really get nasty. I walked to get more water, and really, really thought about how I was feeling. I figured I'd walk to the car, get dry clothes (why??), call my husband to let him know I had finished in one piece (sort of), and then I'd head back to the finish line to look for everyone. Once I got to the car, I knew I needed to just go home. And I did...and I feel guilty that I didn't hang around to see everyone finish.

I guess I'll just have to immerse myself in their race reports!

I'm going to head to bed now (it's not even 9pm) as I need to go to work (again) tomorrow. Thanks for all the good wishes :-) You guys are great, really you are.

15 Comments:

Blogger April Anne said...

Congratulations Sarah!!! Your time was great, although I’m sorry you weren’t feeling the best. Let’s blame it on the rain! Isn’t there a song called Blame It On the Rain? :) I hope your recovery goes well. I would love to meet up for dinner another time—even if it’s not the night before a race. :)

6:42 PM  
Blogger Danny said...

Congratulations! That is a great time!

Hope you're feeling better...

8:44 PM  
Blogger Mia Goddess said...

You are too funny! "...I'd only done 13 miles and didn't really need the pampering..." Yeah, I too like to bang out a half in record time after being distracted from my training and eating a dozen cookies the night before! It's like we're twins.

Seriously, give yourself a pat on the back for getting through the weather and the queasy tummy and rest up for the next adventure! :)

11:39 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Nice race Sarah. I had a little tummy ache yesterday but it didn't come until later in the night. Must of been the rain and the marinara sauce the night before. Couldn't be from your cookies!!!

4:46 AM  
Blogger Running Chick said...

Not exactly the spectacular sunny day we had for New Haven, huh?

Sounds like you had a strong race despite the conditions and issues!

And no guilt necessary...to stand around in the rain for two-plus hours waiting for us when you weren't feeling well? that would have been crazy!

(so, how much do we have to pay you to get that recipe away from you??)

5:29 AM  
Blogger Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Congrats on a great race, Sarah! That's a fantastic time, particularly under downright miserable conditions. Sorry you felt so ill afterwards but maybe it was just from giving it all to push through a race like that.

Rest up, and I hope work today isn't tough for you.

Great race, Sarah! :)

5:55 AM  
Blogger Jack said...

Awesome run, congrats. Gosh are you speedy!

7:01 AM  
Blogger Lara said...

Wow, you put in a great time! I'm sorry that you were feeling less than triumphant and I sure hope you are feeling better today.

Take care of yourself.

9:37 AM  
Blogger brent said...

speedster! could you send some of those cookies to MN please? they sound like fast cookies to me. hehe.

thanks for the congrats on my marathon. it was an awesome day, i'll never forget it.

9:55 AM  
Blogger David said...

Sounds like you had as good a time as could be salvaged from the Hartford race.
Your race was superb. Your running is good therapy; but I worry about you. I don't like it that you let work be your master.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Jank said...

The race sounds like it went great! And no shame in heading home on a nasty, rainy day.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Oldman said...

congrats on a great time! what do you mean only 13 miles?

6:51 AM  
Blogger Thomas said...

I wouldn't feel too guilty if I ran a half-marathon in that time. Well done!

8:19 AM  
Blogger jeanne said...

ONLY 13 miles?!? you were smokin'!! Congrats, and thanks for sharing!

5:05 PM  
Blogger KJ said...

Congrats on your time! That's awesome. I can't believe this is the first time I've been to your blog, it seems like everyone else is here but me. You're on my list now :)

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home